The lazy girl’s spanakopita
375g ready rolled puff pastry
Zest of 1 lemon
3 crushed cloves of garlic
Salt + pepper
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
2. In a saucepan on low heat, add the crushed garlic cloves to a bit of oil, then slowly add the spinach to the pan, allowing them to wilt. Flavour with salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon of nutmeg.
3. Once wilted, place the spinach into a strainer and allow to cool slightly. Squeeze as much water as you can from the spinach.
4. Break apart the cooled spinach into smaller pieces into a bowl and crumble the feta in. Mix with the lemon zest and the yolk of 1 egg. If you want, add a little squeeze of lemon juice for an extra tang.
5. Cut the pastry into 6 equal squares. Divide the spinach between the squares and place in the middle of the pastry squares.
6. Beat 1 egg and use the beaten egg mix to brush along the edges of each pastry square. Fold the pastry squares into triangles and fold the edges over to form a tight seal. No liquid should be leaking out of the pastry. You can use a fork to add indents to the edges.
7. Brush a bit of milk over each pastry to help brown the pastries. Use a fork to make two holes in the top of the pastries.
8. Put the pastries in the oven for 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven) until they have puffed up and brown. Enjoy with a salad on the side!